Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spring Cleanin' Time!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial weekend! Now that’s its officially summer, you know what that means, it’s Spring Cleanin' Time! If you haven’t done so already, its time to clean out and change over the clothes in your closet. Living in NY this is a must for me at least twice a year, once in the spring and again in the fall. I always put away the winter close and bring out my summer clothes! I have found when tackling spring cleaning there are three steps that make the process so much easier.

1. Before putting away your winter clothes go though everything. If you did not wear something this season or last then it is time to give it away. If your clothes have holes in them, your sweaters have pilling on them, or it looks worn to death then give it away! I know it is hard to part with your precious clothes, but it’s so important to clean out and edit your old clothes to make room for new items next season. Know that I definitely struggle with this all the time—I have a tendency to be a packrat and never like to give anything away, but I bite my lip and do it anyways

2. Now its time to put away your winter clothes. A great space saving way to store your clothes are “Space Bags.” Oh yes, these are the big plastic bags you see on infomercials. You put your clothes in then and suction the air out so the bag is almost flat. I have used these for a couple years now . . . I Love them! I usually put my sweaters and turtlenecks in them and stick them under my bed. I also use canvas like drawers that have cedar in them. I put the rest of my clothes in them and stick them under my bed as well. Cedar is really great when storing clothes. Cedar keeps your clothes clean and fresh and most of all keeps bugs and moths from getting into your clothes and eating holes in them. Thank goodness for bed skirts because under my bed probably looks like a war zone but non-the less, it is organized and my clothes are kept safe during the off-season.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=15966920
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=106378&RN=1007

3. So now that everything is put away its time to put out your summer clothes. I like organizing my hanging clothes by short sleeve, skirts, pants, dresses, etc. This makes it easy for me to find what I need when going into my closet looking for something to wear. Everyone is different in how they like their things organized, some maybe like their clothes organized by color, but it’s important to find a strategy that works for you. A great space saving tool when hanging your clothes are thin hangers. It’s amazing how thick and bulky hangers take up so much space on your clothes rack. My favorite hangers are from Bed Bath & Beyond. They are thin, rounded corners, and velvet covered so your clothes don’t slide off.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14000887

Make time to clean out your closet at least twice a year and use these three easy steps to help the process go more smoothly! It does take some time, but when all said and done it feels so good to have everything organized and clean. It’s frustrating when you know you have something but can’t find it amongst the mess. Keeping your things organized helps to eliminate unneeded stress in your life. . . So get Spring Cleanin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment